CONNECT! Relational structures like small groups are an integral part of “being” the church (and not just “doing” church) through time spent together learning, celebrating, and supporting each other. Some groups are on-going throughout the year and some form during Lent. Details, locations, dates and sign-up information can be found in the church office, Sunday bulletins and by emailing Dawna Welch, Pastor of Spiritual Formation.
Sunday Morning Spiritual Formation – November 11, 18, 25 December 2 & 9:
Spiritual Formation December:
LVCoB Kids Children & Families: Nursery-5th Grade/Garden – Focus: Family Gardening Group (all ages) Come learn the basics of gardening and tips to growing and nurturing your family. Families of all shapes and sizes welcome / Amanda Bennett Amanda@lavernecob.org
LVCoB Youth Group: Sixth-12th Grade/Rainbow Room – Focus: The current theme of exploration is Knowing God. Youth are exploring the following question on a weekly basis: / Mar Frost email@example.com
Adults (for ages 18-100+):
Spiritual Knitting (all skill levels welcome): Library – Focus: Knitting in community is a form of prayer and spiritual practice. Completed projects are often donated to organizations helping cancer patients and new born babies.
The Friendship Class: Social Hall / Dr. Al Clark – Focus: Watch and discuss the video lecture series, “The Historical Jesus,” by Professor Bart D. Ehrman of the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill.
Spirituality of Healing: East Room / Julia Wheeler – Focus: Over 5 sessions we will explore various modalities of Body, Mind, Spiritual healing with the possibility of a few field trips to healing spots. Food healing, Eastern Healing, Spiritual Healing, Theta Healing and more will be touched on.
Mission Statement Study: Fireside Room / Tom Hostetler – Focus: Who are we? What do we stand for? What does it mean to be inclusive? How do we welcome people of different races, ethnicities, gender identities, abilities, ages, faith traditions? What is stewardship of creation? How can the New Testament be a “creed”? What is the Matthew 25 Movement and how are we a part of it? We will explore these and many other questions in a 5 week study.
December 16: Children’s Christmas Program and All-Church Christmas Brunch
December 22: Nutbread Reception following Worship
Spiritual Formation Groups will be on hiatus from December 30-January 6. Stay Tuned for many exciting NEW options beginning January 13!
On-Going CONNECT! Small Groups:
- WABS (Wednesday Afternoon Book Study) 2nd Wednesday 4:00 p.m. / Library: Fight boredom on Wednesday afternoon; join us as we engage our minds and hearts in discussion of fascinating books. All are welcome to be part of the lively discussion and sharing of our favorite reads!
- Menalogue coordinated by Greg Emrick 2nd Wednesday 7:00 p.m. / Fireside Room: Men doing intentionally what women do naturally. Guys of all ages are talking about favorite movies, faith, and stupid decisions they’ve made. The topic for November is: the evolution of communication technology.
- Spiritual Cinema with Jeannette Stone and Paul Hopping Last Tuesday of each month 6:30 p.m. / Fireside Room : Join this group to view and discuss films that explore spirit, spirituality, existence, morality, and compassion, the power of the mind, and other enriching topics that take your personal faith journey further, connecting us more deeply to each other and the world. On September 25, join us for Summer Coda. In Reno, Heidi gets word that her father has died half a world away. She visits his home and a family she’s never known in Australia. In the stunning orange groves of rural Australia she meets Michael, and together they embark on an adventure, discovering that their secrets and lives may be better shared.
- Bird Watching with Jeff Strogen / Various Locations 8:00 a.m. / Church parking lot: Join this group of nature lovers who will meet monthly to observe the beauty and diversity of God’s creation. If you are interested in learning more or if you have questions, send Jeff an email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Angel’s Share with Ciera Olsen Last Saturday of the month/ Various Locations: Young adults who get together for drinks and conversations.