Children are to be seen AND heard at La Verne Church of the Brethren. We accept them as full participants in our church life.
From weekly candle lighting and scripture reading to sharing art work on “God’s Refrigerator Door,” we want children to feel so loved and welcomed that they see and experience the love of God in our faces, actions and words.
Children at the La Verne Church of the Brethren demonstrate practical acts of social justice, love and peacemaking throughout the year. They deliver handmade Valentines to residents at Hillcrest Retirement Community, raise money for Trick or Treat for UNICEF, collect food and donations for local shelters, and participate in Young Peacemakers Camp where they learn that living out what they believe is “just the right thing to do.”
Here at La Verne Church of the Brethren, we follow the tradition, deeply rooted in the Brethren; families worship together. Second graders and above are encouraged to sit with their families during the main Worship service at 9:30am. We provide clipboards and crayons for children to doodle on in the narthex, before entering the main sanctuary. We also hold a short children’s time during the main service, where children of all ages are welcome to come forward to participate in listening to an age appropriate talk. Parents are welcome to come up with their children, as well. If it is your first time, you should do whatever is most comfortable for you and your children.
Children are integral to our Worship service. They light candles, read Scripture and participate in a short children’s time during the Worship service. For questions on how to get your child involved email Amanda at firstname.lastname@example.org
Wiggles are Welcome
WE WELCOME CHILDREN IN WORSHIP!
Not only are children welcome but they affect worship directly with their presence and participation! That being said, it can be difficult for our children entering second grade who are no longer age eligible for the nursery and are transitioning in to Worship.
In order to help our youngest members have an enjoyable and meaningful worship experience we also offer these helpful tips:
• Children’s Clipboards (with activities and age appropriate worship material) & books are available in the narthex. Please feel free to pick one up for your child and return the clipboard and/or book at the end of the service.
-Sign your child or family up for acolyte or Scripture reader with Amanda (email@example.com) This is a great way to get children engaged and participate in the service.
• Sitting near the front will provide children with a better view of the pulpit and special music. The narthex is always available, as well.
• Review the adult bulletin with your child so they can begin to learn the order of services. Point out special events such as baptisms or communion.
• Help your child look up and mark upcoming hymns. Let your child help hold the Hymnal. Even if they can’t read, they will feel included.
• Encourage your child to stand up when appropriate and to participate in the service along with the congregation in any way he or she is able.
• Give your child money to drop in the offering plate and let them pass the plate to the next person. Talk about where this money goes.
• Encourage your child to draw a picture or write a poem for the offering plate.
• Don’t worry too much about fidgeting. Wiggles happen!
• Greet the pastors each week after the service. Knowing the ministers personally may increase your child’s interest in what is going on during the service.
• Talk about the service with your child. Make sure your child knows what they think about the service is important to you.
Childcare: Aqua Room (0-1st grade):
If you have a child from infant to 1st grade we do provide a safe and secure nursery for your convenience. It is located to the left (east) of the sanctuary, down the stairs. You will be asked to fill out a simple form and check your child into the nursery. You will also be asked to sign your child out of the nursery at the time of pick-up. Please note any allergies or special requests.
Family Room Available in the Aqua Room
Here at La Verne Church of the Brethren, we recognize and value various family dynamics. While we encourage families to worship together, we understand that there may be times when families need to step out of the service. We have provided a Family Room, located at the East of the sanctuary which broadcasts the audio of the service. You will find toys and a safe space for your children to play quietly while you listen to the service.
At this time we have a mother’s area located in the Women’s Sanctuary Restroom (West of the Sanctuary). We offer a changing station and sofa.
If you would like to donate an item to our children’s ministry, our registries are below: